stable binutils, gcc, glibc ...

Subject: stable binutils, gcc, glibc ...
From: Jun Sun <>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 22:13:23 -0700
Sorry to bring this topic again, but I cannot seem to sort out all the
pieces of info together to get a consistent picture.  Below is what I
gathered through the recent emails on the lists.  Please take a look and
correct any mistakes.  Particularly I like to know which version is
considered STABLE today.  Perhaps there is also issue what version works
with what.

Also, let me know if I miss something.

In the end I like to put it on a web page and track the future toolchain
developments - for lazy hackers. :-)

1. binutils

a) latest binutil cvs tree (v2.10) + debian patch

b) Andreas Jaeger recommanded Ulf's patch against the CVS tree.  He

But I only found the following file.

c) What about those patches at the same ftp sites (v2.8.x)?

2. gcc

a) the cvs tree on (v2.7.2?) Any patch needed for TODAY's
tree?  Ralf seems to suggest his patch posted on 09/08 is still needed
(constructor, Keith gcse, etc).
b) Ralf's patch against egcs 1.1.2

c) Ralf's patch against egcs 1.0.3a.  (Where is the base tar ball?)

d) Andreas said the current development version 2.96 worked - with the
later binutils and gcc.

a) the cvs tree on (v2.0.6).  Any patch needed?

Florian pointed out the following patch.  I am not 100% sure if it is
aginst the current sgi CVS tree.  Any confirmation?

b) Andreas is trying to get glibc 2.2 working.  Definitely bleeding edge

c) Maciej reported he got binutils v2.10 working for glibc 2.2.  No
details or any distribution.

d) glibc v2.0.7 from linux-vr project by Jay