Re: load_unaligned() and "uld" instruction

To: Ralf Baechle <>
Subject: Re: load_unaligned() and "uld" instruction
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 11:54:18 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: Jun Sun <>, "Kevin D. Kissell" <>, Dominic Sweetman <>,,
On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> That's all very nice and guess what - I tried it when I originally wrote
> ualigned.h for Linux.  Try building the mentioed Alpha code with and older
> compiler like egcs 1.0.3a and take a look at it [1].  23 instructions for

 Have you actually looked at the code?  They fall back to an inline asm
for pre-egcs 1.1.2 for exactly that reason for now.  It's surprising,
OTOH, as I am sure native egcs 1.0.3 did build a proper lwl/lwr sequence
for me on Ultrix a few years ago...  Maybe it's just a MIPS backend
configuration problem for other targets?

 I vote for dual code for now and then we may remove the egcs 1.0.3
compatibility cruft one day (for 2.6, for example).