Re: Decstation broken Was: CVS linux

To: Klaus Naumann <>
Subject: Re: Decstation broken Was: CVS linux
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 11:46:57 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: Ralf Baechle <>,
On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Klaus Naumann wrote:

> When I call it it's sleeping for several seconds.
> And after that I get
> 29 Sep 07:49:37 ntpdate[10880]: poll(): nfound = 0, error: Operation not
> permitted
> which seems to loop then.
> If I would have a working strace on my box I could tell you more :/

 But gdb works -- try this one instead.

> > I recently found that the Indigo2 apparently has a different realtime
> > clock from the Indy.  If that's true it explains your observation and
> > is unrelated the other problems.
> Yes, it's of course unrelated to the other problem - it's just
> an explanation why ntpdate is of real use.

 Well, all programs from the xntp3 distribution do work for me.  This may
also be a glibc issue -- I'm using glibc 2.2 only and this provides a
better API for NTP (clock_settime() and friends).  I'll double-check that
settimeofday() works right, too.

 But note that my patches do really affect only the DEC tree.