Re: Decstation broken Was: CVS linux

To: Florian Lohoff <>
Subject: Re: Decstation broken Was: CVS linux
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 11:36:07 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: Ralf Baechle <>,
On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Florian Lohoff wrote:

> since this commit my machines are all broken (5000/260, 5000/150
> and 5000/125) - They all hang in the "Calibrating delay loop ...".

 Well, I asked for testing before the commit, but nobody bothered to write
anything, so I assumed everything is correct, sigh...

 OK, the /240 is definitely tested (the uptime of my -test7 was three
weeks before I rebooted to test NFS problems) so /260 should work for you.
But the latter is R4K.  As Ralf already remarked me in a separate mail,
64-bit registers can get corrupted for the 32-bit kernel (but 64-bit code
is used throughout the kernel, strange), so please change the "#if
_MIPS_ISA" at the beginning of include/asm-mips/div64.h into "#if 1" and
tell me if it works for the /260.

 As for the rest -- /125 is R3K, right?  Chances are I made a stupid
mistake and defined an address macro wrong.  I'll dig through the changes
and see (/150 should be no problem once /125 works, as it's the same issue
as /240 vs /260).  If I can't find anything relevant, please expect
certain debugging patches from me for the /125 path.

 Note that these are hi-res timer changes rather than NTP fixes, BTW -- my
communication channel with Ralf got corrupted somehow at one time.
Although the code affects the performance of NTP handling, there were
separate NTP changes, as well.