Re: Decstation broken Was: CVS Update@oss.sgi.com: linux

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: Decstation broken Was: CVS Update@oss.sgi.com: linux
From: Klaus Naumann <spock@mgnet.de>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 07:50:35 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com, "Maciej W . Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Fri, 29 Sep 2000 01:39:54 Ralf Baechle wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 10:00:46PM +0200, Klaus Naumann wrote:
>
> > BTW: What did you actually fix ? ntpdate still doesn't work
> > while ntpd seems to work ok.
>
> The NTP API was outdated.
>
> What is the sympthom you observe with ntpdate?

When I call it it's sleeping for several seconds.
And after that I get

29 Sep 07:49:37 ntpdate[10880]: poll(): nfound = 0, error: Operation not
permitted

which seems to loop then.
If I would have a working strace on my box I could tell you more :/

> > But ntpdate would be a very good idea because ntpd doesn't handle
> > large offsets ...
> > And obviously the realtime clock of the Indigo2 doesn't work
> > correctly. So I was calling ntpdate at every bootup to get my
> > system in a usable state. Maciej, can you take a look at ntpdate
> > please ?
>
> I recently found that the Indigo2 apparently has a different realtime
> clock from the Indy.  If that's true it explains your observation and
> is unrelated the other problems.

Yes, it's of course unrelated to the other problem - it's just
an explanation why ntpdate is of real use.

                CU, Klaus

--
Full Name   : Klaus Naumann     | (http://www.mgnet.de/) (Germany)
Nickname    : Spock             | Org.: Mad Guys Network