Re: ELF/Modutils problem

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: ELF/Modutils problem
From: Brady Brown <bbrown@ti.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 09:23:36 -0600
Cc: Keith Owens <kaos@melbourne.sgi.com>, SGI news group <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>, Ulf Carlsson <ulfc@engr.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Ralf Baechle wrote:

> > >And gcc has nothing to with it so it won't need to be fixed ...
> >
> > Point taken, I should have said the MIPS toolchain instead of gcc.
> > Something in the toolchain is generating an ELF object that does not
> > follow the rules.  Can we catch someone's attention to get it fixed?
>
> Ulf Carlsson <ulfc@engr.sgi.com> is currently maintaining binutils.
> Ulf, you got the bandwidth to take a look at this?  After a look over the
> gas code it's not obvious to my why this doesn't work on MIPS but on
> all the other architectures, you probably know the internals of this beast
> better than I do.
>
>   Ralf

I'm not sure what exact piece of the tool chain forms the un-linked elf file,
but as I stated originally the symbol table in the .o file is incorrect after
compiling and then if I do an incremental link (-r) the symbol table and length
pointer have been corrected. Based upon this it looks like the output from the
linker is correct, but the output from the earlier stage is wrong.