Re: modules in kernel 2.2.14

To: Rabeeh Khoury <rabeeh@galileo.co.il>
Subject: Re: modules in kernel 2.2.14
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 06:04:12 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com, linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux-mips@vger.rutgers.edu
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 02:25:20PM -0400, Rabeeh Khoury wrote:

> I'm running kernel 2.2.14 and i'm trying inserting modules.
>
> In the file kernel/module.c, function sys_create_module calles
> module_map which is defined as vmalloc.
>
> calling vmalloc returns a pointer to a virtual memory address in the
> memory mapped area (in my case 0xc0000000) and the kernel had an
> exception for accessing this address.

Which means that your TLB exception handlers, cache handling or something
in that area is busted, I recommend to fix that first.

> my work around was defining the following in kernel/module.c
>
> #define module_map      kmalloc
> #define module_unmap    kfree
>
> and it worked fine.
>
> Is this work around sufficient ?

It's ok but can be pretty wasteful on memory.  It also will only work
for modules upto 128kb size.  Also if choose this fix you should delete
-mlong-calls from MODFLAGS in arch/mips/Makefile as an additional
optimization.