Re: [linux-fbdev] SGI VW 540, fbdev and pot pourii of faults and evidenc

To: Andy Isaacson <adi@mr-happy.com>
Subject: Re: [linux-fbdev] SGI VW 540, fbdev and pot pourii of faults and evidence..:-)
From: James Simmons <jsimmons@acsu.buffalo.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 11:43:15 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: i15@ornl.gov, linux-fbdev@vuser.vu.union.edu, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
> On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 07:28:07PM -0400, philloc@tigger.ccs.ornl.gov wrote:
> >     Anyone from SGI care to comment on why SGI has not released the
> > specs to reasonable attention, since they are unable to help port?
>
> I don't speak for SGI, but in the past I think they said that the
> specs basically do not exist in a releasable form.  Basically, the
> hardware developers and software developers worked in the same hallway
> and the development was of the form "hey Joe, how do I program the
> zapbot to do foobaz?"

Actually you are right. The lack of docs internally in SGI has caused this
problem. This also has had the bad side effect of when they lose a
critical employee then no one else has a clue on how it program it. You
have to start from scratch.

[OT]. This actually happend to M$ as well. One person wrote they entire
registery for win95. He left the company and when it came time to port it
to win2000 no one understood how it worked. So they had to rewrite it from
scratch.