Re: [linux-fbdev] SGI VW 540, fbdev and pot pourii of faults and evidenc

To: i15@ornl.gov
Subject: Re: [linux-fbdev] SGI VW 540, fbdev and pot pourii of faults and evidence..:-)
From: James Simmons <jsimmons@acsu.buffalo.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 19:17:02 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: linux-fbdev@vuser.vu.union.edu, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
> I would also like to ask, if SGI is likely to make the hardware specs OSS
> (for cobalt etc.), so that those with the skill (this is not my forte, but
> I will try...), can stabilise this otherwise competent port.

Nope. SGI no longer supports Visual Workstations with linux. I don't even
know if they support Visual Workstatiosn period. It would be nice if they
did release the specs anyways :-)

> 1. After boot , no matter what video mode one is in, the text console is
> zippy. After using X (or changing modes using fbset) the text scrolling is
> *painfully* slow. There is no apparent difference in the kernel mechanism
> when switching, so is it just the boot state that works?

Which X server?  Sounds like the X server is doing the naughty.

>       Empirical observations (i.e. writing known patterns to the
> /dev/fb0 device) indicate that SGI reverse RGB for 888 format, compared to
> RGB565. That is red offset=0, green=8,blue=16 rather than red=24 etc.. I
> have reversed the assignment in the "var" structure (in sgivwfb_set_var )
> and in setcolreg the offsets are used, but to no effect. What else needs
> changing?

Have a patch for this? Can you post it?

Innovation, innovate, and the concept of doing what everyone else did 20
years ago are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation. Other
buzzwords, euphemisms, and blatant lies are trademarks of their respective
owners.

James Simmons  [jsimmons@linux-fbdev.org]               ____/|
fbdev/console/gfx developer                             \ o.O|
http://www.linux-fbdev.org                               =(_)=
http://linuxgfx.sourceforge.net                            U
http://linuxconsole.sourceforge.net