Re: [Install trouble]

To: Famille Chauvat <famille.chauvat@free.fr>
Subject: Re: [Install trouble]
From: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 10:16:20 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Sun, Aug 06, 2000 at 03:03:30PM +0000, Famille Chauvat wrote:
> Hi Florian,
>
> Thanks for your response. Humm, I don't know how to boot with rw support...
> And, Keith M Wesolowski, see messages in this thread, modify the kernel to
> have a ramdisk support.

Look into /usr/src/linux/Documentation

Booting with an "rw" root you just have to append "rw" to the command
line you boot with ...

> That what I don't understand, except a lot of another things :-), is how it
> runs. You know, I took a lot of things on internet, I read a lot of papers,
> perhaps not those I had to, and I've never ask to support or not the
> ramdisk. So my question is, how the kernel I took doesn't support something
> I never asked for. I'm not sure to be very clear :-)

Not the kernel uses it - The installer does - The installer tries
to create a /tmp filesystem in a ramdisk to proceed installation.
When there is no ramdisk support the /tmp filesystem creation will fail.

> With the new kernel I have, I've a new trouble. After the partition step, a
> message "mount failed, bad address" appears and I 've to reboot. Of course,
> the next time I'ld the same things. Any suggestion, any help, would be very
> appreciate.

No idea

> Btw, if you know someone of your team or friends who speak french, it could
> be better, for me, to explain what going wrong.

Sorry - Cant help you :)

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff          flo@rfc822.org                  +49-5201-669912
     "If you're not having fun right now, you're wasting your time."