Re: SGI-Linux VisualWorkstations

To: michael.j.lewis@db.com, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: SGI-Linux VisualWorkstations
From: Mark Pearson <markp@nmrf.org.au>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 09:43:28 +1000
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
The howto page on the sgi site has moved to
http://oss.sgi.com/www.linux.sgi.com/intel/visws
I use a debian distribution with kernel 2.2.10 on a 320 with 256Mb ram and
the flat panel display.
Xfree 3.3.6 seems to work best and will provide 8 or 16 bit depth. The
main problem I have found (at least under kde and xfree 3.x and 4.x) is
that the mouse focus will not always pass to the window under the cursor,
and some processes have to be killed to release the focus.
The other problem is that every few days the ethernet controller stops
transmitting and must be restarted.

--
Mark Pearson BSc (Computing) -- Technical and Computer Support
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Concord Hospital