Re: SGI-Linux VisualWorkstations

To: michael.j.lewis@db.com
Subject: Re: SGI-Linux VisualWorkstations
From: Ehab Fares <ehab@aia.rwth-aachen.de>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 20:31:56 +0200
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, adi@mr-happy.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com

--
We've been runnung Linux on a Visual Workstation 540 for some time now.. We
used a SuSE 6.3 Distribution and there was a lot to do to get the mahine

I also have only been able to boot the 2.2.10 Kernel. The system is integrated
into a Linux cluster. We are not using the CD-ROM or the floppy much, so I
don't know of any  problems there. The machine hangs every now and then
(sometimes once per 2 weeks and sometimes one per day). The hanging seem to
stop if the X server is not activated. Our biggest problem is the Memory, we
are only using 960MB of the 2GB. I believe this is only a problem of the arc
loader. It is even mentioned in the sources of that loader. I haven't figured
out a way to get around that yet...

I personally find it discouraging that there is no further development for
these machines. They would make a great linux visualization machines (as SGI
apparently noticed already and giving a linux option for the newer Visual
Workstation)... What is needed is a better support for the hardware including
the graphics...

regards,
Ehab.