Re: SGI-Linux VisualWorkstations

Subject: Re: SGI-Linux VisualWorkstations
From: Andy Isaacson <>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 11:15:35 -0500
On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 02:08:52PM +0100, wrote:
> Has anyone managed to get Linux (any distribution) onto the Visual
> Workstation? Personally, had a no. of problems
> with the Visual Workstation and my last gasp effort to use the machine
> (apart from as a dust magnet) is to run Linux on
> them .... any info. pls. let me know. ( ... used to have a
> couple of pages as I recall, but dont think they are there now....)

I have the instructions I used up at
The detailed (but only correct for the LCSE setup) instructions are at

It's not terribly useful, though... we had a lot of problems with our
setup and the systems are back to running NT full time.

Off the top of my head
 - XFree86 4.0 fbdev driver had color problems
 - only the first bank of memory was usable (256 of our 1024 MB)
 - accessing the floppy or CD-ROM was likely to hang the machine
 - 2.2.10 was the only kernel I could get running

Andy Isaacson <>