Re: Simple Linux/MIPS 0.2b

To: "J. Scott Kasten" <>
Subject: Re: Simple Linux/MIPS 0.2b
From: Keith M Wesolowski <>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 18:39:02 -0700
On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 07:56:25PM -0300, J. Scott Kasten wrote:

> I think the x libs are a good place to start, because I can guarantee that
> I'm breaking those, yet you claim to have them working.  I also know that
> I can grab someone else's prebuilt and compile against those and get
> working apps.  Thus the x libs demonstrate all the "features" of the
> problem that I'm encountering.

> #1  You say you built X using the tool chain for Simple 0.2b.  Does that
> mean you compiled it natively on an Indy with what was effectively Simple
> 0.2b installed?  Or was it cross compiled using the same releases of the
> tools?

It was built natively. You will need to obtain cpp from egcs 1.1.2 and
place it into /lib in order to accomplish this. You can get this at

> #2 You say X 4.0.  Can you be more specific?  Was it an official 4.0
> tarball on the xfree ftp site?  Pulled from CVS?  Or was it really a
> 4.0.1?  Basicly, I want the exact same starting sources that you used.

It is XFree86 4.0 official + the 000531 version of Guido's patch.

> #3 Where can I get Guido's X patch?

> #4 What if anything did you add to the host.def or other config files
> before doing "make World"?

I changed nothing.

Keith M Wesolowski
University of Nevada
Chemistry Department Systems and Network Administrator