Re: XFree 4.0.1 on mips, mipsel

To: Ralf Baechle <>
Subject: Re: XFree 4.0.1 on mips, mipsel
From: Ulf Carlsson <>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 14:33:50 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "Gleb O. Raiko" <>, "Bradley D. LaRonde" <>, linux-mips <>, linux <>
Ralf Baechle writes:
 > On Sat, Jun 24, 2000 at 01:12:18PM +0200, Guido Guenther wrote:
 > > [..snip..]
 > > > If you cross-compile, you just redefine most of the stuff like CcCmd,
 > > > ArCmd, etc, anyway.
 > > Yes, but you have to make sure the redefinitions don't get redefined
 > > again, therefore IMHO an "#ifdef AsCmd" is needed. Otherwise the
 > > definition in hosts.def will be overriden by the one in
 > Does X building ever need the hostcompiler?  If not, then you can easily
 > do crossbuilds like:
 >   PATH=<prefix>/<target>/bin:$PATH make ...

Yes.  You need the hostcompiler when you do X builds.  It is possible
to get around it though.  I have the commands that I used in two shell

First I have to to prepare for the cross build:

make clean
make Makefile.boot
make Makefiles
(cd config; make)
make includes
make depend
(cd fonts/bdf; for i in $(find -name 'Makefile'); do sed -e
's/\$(XBUILDBINDIR)\///' < $i > $i.tmp; mv $i.tmp $i; done)

Then I'm ready to build the rest with the cross compiler:

export PATH=/usr/glibc-mips/bin:$PATH
make -k CC=mips-linux-gcc LD=mips-linux-ld AS=mips-linux-as
RANLIB=mips-linux-ranlib $@

You probably have a better solution though :-)