Re: Proposal: non-PC ISA bus support

To: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: non-PC ISA bus support
From: Richard Henderson <rth@twiddle.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 00:19:16 -0700
Cc: Linux kernel <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>, Linux/PPC Development <linuxppc-dev@lists.linuxppc.org>, Linux/MIPS Development <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 08:45:47AM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> But with ioremap() you cannot specify where it has to be mapped, right? So
> you're still stuck with an offset.

Huh?  Who cares where it's mapped.  "Some unused space."
A pointer is a pointer.

In my case there is a direct correlation between the "base address"
and the "ioremaped address" -- the addition of a constant.  That's
the win for using 64-bit pointers.  ;-)

> > the ISA bus is contained within exactly one PCI hose.
>
> Which is not the case on some boxes :-(

The only machines I knew about that had this were the DEC NUMA
machines.  What does your bus configuration look like?

r~