RE: Problems with multiple harddisks on my Indigo2

To: Ian Chilton <>
Subject: RE: Problems with multiple harddisks on my Indigo2
From: Paul Jakma <>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 22:38:42 +0100 (IST)
Cc:, Linux Debian MIPS <>, Linux MIPS cthulhu <>, Linux MIPS <>, MIPS vger <>
On Wed, 21 Jun 2000, Ian Chilton wrote:

> I have an SGI Indy, with 2 internal hard disks, a 4GB and a 1GB
> I get the same thing!
> > Also I'm getting a message
> > sc1,2,0: cmd=0x12 timeout after 2 sec.  Resetting SCSI bus
> I started getting this when I added the 2nd HD (1GB).

fwiw, i got this too on my indy when i added a Quantum Empire 1GB.

>From cold boot the PROM doesn't recognise the second disk, but IRIX
does (PROM gives me the exact same error message as the one you wrote
above - but prints it twice). If i halt back to PROM then the PROM
does see the second disk. (and only prints that error message once)

my theories are:

1. PROM controller driver is minimal and doesn't init the
controller/disks properly whereas the IRIX driver does.

2. disk spin up times.. ??

3. Perhaps cause the outboard SCSI port is not terminated. (least not
on my indy)

Paul Jakma
PGP5 key:
Give me a fish and I will eat today.

Teach me to fish and I will eat forever.