Re: linux/mips on cd?

To: Paul Jakma <paul@clubi.ie>
Subject: Re: linux/mips on cd?
From: Keith M Wesolowski <wesolows@chem.unr.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 13:22:51 -0700
Cc: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>, Linux MIPS <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Mon, Jun 19, 2000 at 08:39:16PM +0100, Paul Jakma wrote:

> i know, i know.. I've read parts of the archive, and have lurked on
> the list for a few months. However, it seems to me the Indy (little
> endian linux/mips, right?) does at least boot and run some userspace
> stuff.

SGI is bigendian. It does boot and there is a userland. I personally
have even seen X working.

> incidentally, i tried booting the 2.2.13 kernel from the website. It
> appeared to work as the PROM downloaded it and didn't complain, but
> it produced absolutely no output. and when i pressed a key it booted
> back to PROM.
>
> do these kernels require serial console?

I was able to boot those. Hmmm. You can also try the indy kernel at
ftp://ftp.foobazco.org/pub/people/wesolows/mips-linux/kernels/ which
should definitely work and support the graphics console, if you have
XL graphics. If you have XZ you are in trouble at the moment.

--
Keith M Wesolowski                      wesolows@chem.unr.edu
University of Nevada                    http://www.chem.unr.edu