Re: linux/mips on cd?

To: Paul Jakma <>
Subject: Re: linux/mips on cd?
From: Keith M Wesolowski <>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 13:22:51 -0700
Cc: Florian Lohoff <>, Linux MIPS <>
On Mon, Jun 19, 2000 at 08:39:16PM +0100, Paul Jakma wrote:

> i know, i know.. I've read parts of the archive, and have lurked on
> the list for a few months. However, it seems to me the Indy (little
> endian linux/mips, right?) does at least boot and run some userspace
> stuff.

SGI is bigendian. It does boot and there is a userland. I personally
have even seen X working.

> incidentally, i tried booting the 2.2.13 kernel from the website. It
> appeared to work as the PROM downloaded it and didn't complain, but
> it produced absolutely no output. and when i pressed a key it booted
> back to PROM.
> do these kernels require serial console?

I was able to boot those. Hmmm. You can also try the indy kernel at which
should definitely work and support the graphics console, if you have
XL graphics. If you have XZ you are in trouble at the moment.

Keith M Wesolowski
University of Nevada
Chemistry Department Systems and Network Administrator