Re: linux/mips on cd?

To: Paul Jakma <paul@clubi.ie>
Subject: Re: linux/mips on cd?
From: Klaus Naumann <spock@mgnet.de>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 22:22:15 +0200
Cc: Linux MIPS <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Mon, 19 Jun 2000 21:39:16 Paul Jakma wrote:
> i know, i know.. I've read parts of the archive, and have lurked on
> the list for a few months. However, it seems to me the Indy (little
> endian linux/mips, right?) does at least boot and run some userspace

No, big endian ;)

Yes, it boots and it's possible to run most of the usual stuffs ...
Also X is working now (at snail speed but working) because
Guido Guenter made a X server.

> i'm here more for the fun factor. (i've run linux on x86, Alpha
> and PPC. Love to see it just booting on MIPS :) )

If you just want to see it booting you might want to get a vmlinux-indy
from oss.sgi.com and boot it up - it should work.

> incidentally, i tried booting the 2.2.13 kernel from the website. It
> appeared to work as the PROM downloaded it and didn't complain, but
> it produced absolutely no output. and when i pressed a key it booted
> back to PROM.

This is not the default behaviour - The PROM should freeze after it
boots up the kernel if you use serial console - otherwise you will
see the newport console ...

If there is a running distribution I could make a CD and send it to
you ... so this is not the problem - but it's not worth it until
we have a system which is running more stable ...

        Cu, Klaus

--
Full Name   : Klaus Naumann     | (http://www.mgnet.de/) (Germany)
Nickname    : Spock             | Org.: Mad Guys Network