RE: Linux on Indy

To: Ian Chilton <>
Subject: RE: Linux on Indy
From: "J. Scott Kasten" <>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 23:13:28 -0300
On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Ian Chilton wrote:

> When I go into Disk Manager, I only see SystemDisk(0,1) 4.04GB, which is my
> normal IRIX disk......does this mean my 2nd disk isn't working?
> The 2nd disk I put in was a 1GB, straight out of my Linux box, still with an
> EXT2 partition on....does this matter?

Yes, it does.  IRIX won't like the Linux partition table one bit.  The
simplest thing to do would be to stick it in the linux box and do this:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sd# bs=512 count=10

Where /dev/sd# is the SCSI device, IE /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc, etc...

Don't use a name with a numeric suffix or you'll just zap the partition,
not the partition table itself.

However, IRIX should have seen the drive regardless, but would have told
you it could not create a file system on it or some such thing, so there's
still the possibility something is not in place right here.