RE: Linux on Indy

Subject: RE: Linux on Indy
From: "J. Scott Kasten" <jsk@tetracon-eng.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 13:52:49 -0300
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Ian Chilton wrote:

> eakkK!
>
> Sorry to be a pain..but is there anyone that wouldn't mind spening a few
> mins just to list the commands that I would use to do this...

Actually, net booting is not as hard or as bad as it sounds.  Typically,
you'll need utilities like rarp, bootp/dhcp, bootparamd, tftp, and NFS to
pull it off.  I've not gone through the process first hand yet with an
SGI, but from what I've glanced at somewhere here in the docs it looks to
be slightly different from what a Sun does.  I know this will sound
strange, but go to www.netbsd.org and look at their docs on net booting
Sun boxes to do a network install of NetBSD.  Their docs are quite
thurough on how to set up tftp, rarp, etc on BSD and Linux servers for net
booting a Sun client.  Although some of the details will be different for
an SGI client, the docs are still invaluable to you as they describe how
to edit the configuration files on the server to get what you want.
Comming from the Bill's world, it will also help give you a basic
understanding of how the process works so you'll know better what
questions to ask if you do get stuck.