Re: Linux on Indy

Subject: Re: Linux on Indy
From: Ken Wills <kenwills@tds.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 12:01:46 +0000
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
> eakkK!
>
> Sorry to be a pain..but is there anyone that wouldn't mind spening a few
> mins just to list the commands that I would use to do this...
>
> I have been using Windoze and Linux for years, but am *completely* new to
> SGI/Indy's and IRIX.
> I don't even have a clue how to partition use the 2nd hard disk I have put
> in....

There are a couple of docs on http://www.linux.sgi.com that describe how to
install Linux on an Indy. If you don't know the device names under irix,
user the system manager to install and partition your new disk - then you'll
see it's device name in the disk-manager app thingy - after that, a few minutes
with 'fx' and 'man fx' should be sufficient, or you can consult a copy of
Frisch's 'Essential System Administraton' (O'Reilly) for a step by step
on adding disks under Irix.

The linux installer is capable of partitioning your disk too, AFAIR, use
fdisk though, and not disk druid.

Hope that helps a little,

Ken