Re: Linux on Indy

To: "J. Scott Kasten" <jsk@tetracon-eng.net>
Subject: Re: Linux on Indy
From: Guido Guenther <guido.guenther@gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 17:46:35 +0200
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 10:31:05AM -0300, J. Scott Kasten wrote:

[..snip..]
> >From what I have observed, the 5.1 tarball has under the mipseb directory
> a minimal root file system with etc, sbin, lib, etc. in addition to the
> RedHat/RPMS directory.  I suspect that you will need to get that minimal
> root file system mounted, and then use that to run the install and explode
> the RPMS to the disk.  I'm further going to speculate that you will
> probably netboot the thing the first time and do an NFS mounted root to
> make that happen.  But again, this is pure speculation...
That's the way to go. As far as I remember the hardhat installer fires
up automatically when you mount the rootfs per nfs. It will create a fs
on the disk and unpack the rpms. As I did that, most of the scripts failed so
I had to fix up some things by hand(the mailing list archive is a good
read on that). I wrote a short description of what I did after the
hardhat installer finished:
http://honk.physik.uni-konstanz.de/~agx/mipslinux/install/fix-install.txt
I partitioned the disk from within irix but I can't remember that
cryptic irix device names. Recently someone posted about a mini-distro
he built(search the archives on that). This one might be easier to
install than hardhat.
Regards,
 -- Guido

--