Re: Linux on Indy w/ XL question.

To: "J. Scott Kasten" <jsk@tetracon-eng.net>
Subject: Re: Linux on Indy w/ XL question.
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 01:20:29 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 04:23:26PM -0300, J. Scott Kasten wrote:

> I need to puchase an Indy and install Linux on it as a
> development/reference platform for some embedded MIPS development I'm
> involved with.  I've read the FAQ, HOWTO, etc... and need one minor
> clarification.
>
> In the documentation it claims support for XL video only.  That's fine,
> however, do I want the 8 bit or the 24 bit variety?  Do they both work?

For text console, yes.

> If I understand correctly, emulation is in place to the extent that the
> IRIX Xsgi can be used under Linux to provide an X display as well?  X is
> not critical to my needs, but would of course be a definite advantage.

Nobody has worked on the binary compatibility for X in a long, long time
so everything I can guarantee is that it compiles.  It's never reached
the point where Xsgi was running properly.

There is now another X server based on XFree 4.0.  It's just the first
public release but you may want to try it anyway, it's available from
oss.sgi.com in /pub/linux/mips/mips-linux/X.