Linux on Indy w/ XL question.

To: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Subject: Linux on Indy w/ XL question.
From: "J. Scott Kasten" <jsk@tetracon-eng.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 16:23:26 -0300
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
I need to puchase an Indy and install Linux on it as a
development/reference platform for some embedded MIPS development I'm
involved with.  I've read the FAQ, HOWTO, etc... and need one minor
clarification.

In the documentation it claims support for XL video only.  That's fine,
however, do I want the 8 bit or the 24 bit variety?  Do they both work?

If I understand correctly, emulation is in place to the extent that the
IRIX Xsgi can be used under Linux to provide an X display as well?  X is
not critical to my needs, but would of course be a definite advantage.

Thanks in advance!

--

J. Scott Kasten
Email: jsk AT tetracon-eng DOT net