Re: Problems booting Indigo...

To: Chris Ruvolo <csr6702@grace.rit.edu>
Subject: Re: Problems booting Indigo...
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 12:25:27 +0200
Cc: fisher@sgi.com, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 04:23:59AM -0400, Chris Ruvolo wrote:
> On Tue, 30 May 2000, William Fisher wrote:
> >     Ok, I looked at the ARCS prom code for the Indy series machine
> >aka an IP22
> >     in SGI hardware speak.
> Bill,
>       Thanks for looking this up for us.  The port 69 issue was
> speculation on our part.  I've been talking with someone that has the boot
> PROM working with tftp, and it doesn't use port 69 exclusively.  Unless
> the tftp code changed with different PROM versions, I think we can rule
> that out.

I hacked the BSD tftpd last night (-> standalone and send from #69) but
you're right. It makes no difference at all. This morning, I played with
the transceiver again -- 2 switches, 4 possibilities. Tested all, but
no success. Some two month ago I booted that Indigo over net (okay, it
crashed immediately;) but the only difference is that we used a switched
port there... It's brain-dead, but I'll fetch a switch from my old school
and test it...

MfG, JBG
PS: Is there a way to boot the linux kernel off DAT tape or from local
    HDD? If so, HowTo?

--
Fehler eingestehen, Größe zeigen: Nehmt die Rechtschreibreform zurück!!!
/* Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de> -- +49-177-5601720 */