Re: Problems booting Indigo...

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: Problems booting Indigo...
From: Chris Ruvolo <csr6702@grace.rit.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 20:12:53 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de>
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
On Wed, 31 May 2000, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:

>         [root@parkautomat:/root] #> arp -s 192.168.1.3 08:00:69:06:BA:2E

I didn't need to do this to get the bootp response.

>       - ISC dhcpd from .deb (2.0-3) with very short config:

I switched to this and it works.

>Effect: The Indigo gets its config, but unfortunately it seems that
>incoming tftp UDP packets are not accepted. This might be because
>the originating port is != 69 (which is tftp):

Ok, I'm now in the same boat.

>Now the final question: How can I make in.tftpd to answer *from* port 69?

I'm not sure this is the problem.  I believe RFC-compliant TFTP servers
use system-assigned ports for each client connection.  At least, I've seen
this behavior on other TFTP servers.  But, you may be right.  The client
could be expecting replies only on port 69.  I don't know if this is
possible without modifying the TFTP server.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,
Chris

PS: Please cc responses to me.