Problems booting Indigo...

Subject: Problems booting Indigo...
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 03:29:58 +0200

I've now build a kernel which I would like to test on my Indigo;) The
problem is that I can't load it;( I tried bootpd as well as ISC dhcpd.
The result is actually just the same:

>> bootp()parkautomat:/tftpboot/vmlinux.ip12
No server for parkautomat:/tftpboot/vmlinux.ip12

I tried to do with "parkautomat:", with IPs (""), I leaved
the server totally off the string, I used bootpd and dhcps with rfc1048,
with cmu (bootpd), I checked the "SQE dip switch" at the AUI->10baseT
transceiver. setenv/unsetenv netaddr didn't make a difference, too...
I checked dozends of combinations, but there's no server seen by the

tcpdump shows:

[root@parkautomat:/root] #> tcpdump -i eth0 -n
tcpdump: listening on eth0
01:46:03.979150 arp who-has tell
01:46:03.979864 > xid:0xa0d5 secs:5
C: [|bootp]
01:46:03.982352 > xid:0xa0d5 secs:5
C: Y: S: [|bootp] [tos 0x10]
01:46:08.408974 > xid:0xa0d5 secs:10
C: [|bootp]
01:46:08.411526 > xid:0xa0d5 secs:10
C: Y: S: [|bootp] [tos 0x10]
01:46:13.408851 > xid:0xa0d5 secs:15
C: [|bootp]
01:46:13.411166 > xid:0xa0d5 secs:15
C: Y: S: [|bootp] [tos 0x10]
01:46:18.408664 > xid:0xa0d5 secs:20
C: [|bootp]
01:46:18.411001 > xid:0xa0d5 secs:20
C: Y: S: [|bootp] [tos 0x10]

So there are four requests, four replys, but none of them seems to be
seen;( Can anybody tell me how to boot the kernel? The "Diskless
Workstation Administration Guide" didn't help a lot... Maybe I can
(if nothing else helps...) boot the kernel through the tape? If so,
how di I have to put the kernel onto the tape? How to load it off?

PS: Hacking the kernel was done in one evening, trying to boot it costed
    dome days...

Fehler eingestehen, Größe zeigen: Nehmt die Rechtschreibreform zurück!!!
/* Jan-Benedict Glaw <> -- +49-177-5601720 */
keyID=0x8399E1BB fingerprint=250D 3BCF 7127 0D8C A444 A961 1DBD 5E75 8399 E1BB
     "insmod vi.o and there we go..." (Alexander Viro on linux-kernel)