RE: [DHCP]

To: "Philippe Chauvat" <philippe.chauvat@exfo.com>, "Linux Mips" <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Subject: RE: [DHCP]
From: "Eric Watkins" <watkinse@attens.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 09:26:35 -0700
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
Hello,

I had lots of issues getting the ISC.org dhcpd to work properly. I switched
to the standard bootpd(slackware) daemon and things worked fine. I think
this may be just how I have the isc.org dhcpd.conf setup but the bootpd
daemon worked just fine out of the box.

Either the isc.org dhcpd sends things the SGIs aren't prepared to get or it
just not implementing bootpd the right way. I think it's just a config issue
but I've yet to get things right with the dhcpd.conf. You'll notice there
are 4 get requests in the log files before the SGI times out.

There is a post on the isc.org message boards about this. I don't have the
URL but I searched on SGI and bootp in the dhcpd client archives.

I'd suggest trying bootpd(rather thand dhcpd) and seeing if the SGI boots
right up. That worked for me after screwing around with dhcpd for a few
days.

Good luck.