Re: New indy problems

To: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>, nick@ns.snowman.net
Subject: Re: New indy problems
From: dagb@oslo.sgi.com (Dag Bakke)
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 12:52:21 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
On May 25, 10:25, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> Subject: Re: New indy problems
> On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 09:29:36PM -0400, nick@ns.snowman.net wrote:
> >
> > Hi, is there any way for me to reset the root password on an indy?  I
> > bought an indy cheap from a liquidator, and have no way to get the root
> > password.  I can probably set it up, and then rsh into it from a "trusted
> > host" (I own the network it's now on, and I could cat it's /.rhosts), but
> > that would take alot of effort.  All I need is to make one little change
> > to the FS from SASH or bootprom.
>
> The indigo2 has a jumper onboard to "erase" the nvram setting (I multiple
> times accidently changes the console setting)

The nvram pw is unrelated to the root pw on the systemdisk. (Which I am sure
you are aware of.  :-)

This question is a FAQ and not even related to Linux. You really should read
the SGI FAQs.

The fix is to boot miniroot from network or a CD. Then enter a shell by typing
'shroot' at the Inst> prompt. From here you can edit the passwd file.

Dag B