RE: New mini-distribution/indigo2 monitor support

To: "Keith M Wesolowski" <wesolows@chem.unr.edu>, <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Subject: RE: New mini-distribution/indigo2 monitor support
From: "Eric Watkins" <watkinse@attens.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 10:29:26 -0700
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
Hello,

I noticed in your instructions that you suggest removing the framebuffer
from the video card so the distribution will boot?

QUOTE:
"Note: If your system has an XZ framebuffer in it, you must remove it prior
to booting and use a serial console instead. The XZ framebuffer will likely
prevent your system from booting Linux even if you are not using it. "

Are you suggesting that I remove the vid card?

I'm trying to get my indigo2 to boot linux. Can you go into more detail on
how to remove the framebuffer?

For the rest of the list.. When will I be able to use these monitors? The
monitor is almost the best part of the whole system. I've got PCs that will
run rings around the indigo2 that don't have 21 inch monitors. It's not good
to tell people 'Oh ya linux boots on that but then I have to use this dumb
terminal to do anything.' At this point people start to laugh.

When can I see X in all of it's glory on an indigo2?

Thanks!