RE: CVS linux

To: Klaus Naumann <>
Subject: RE: CVS linux
From: Harald Koerfgen <>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 18:50:09 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: Linux MIPS <>, SGI Linux <>
On 23-May-00 Klaus Naumann wrote:
[offset.h problems with my recent CVS changes snipped]

> Well, unfortunately this doesn't fix the problem.
> At least not for me. I get the same error I
> stated a mail ago - offset.h is generated after
> the use in main.c .

Ok, trying to fix that I added a fastdep rule to arch/mips/tools/Makefile only
find myself in a catch 22 situation. offset.c includes asm/ptrace.h which, in
turn, includes asm/offset.h, i.e. you have to have offset.h to create offset.h

Without heavily messing around with several header files, which may have an
impact on non-MIPS platforms as well, I see no easy solution for that. Adding an
empty offset.h, on the other hand, and leaving the .cvsignore in place should at
least partially do what I want. Any objections?

And now for something completly different. Why the hell did I mess around with

Well, if something in the kernel is changed which affects offset.h then
generating a diff against a fresh CVS copy will contain those differences. That
annoyed me because, personally, I find this disturbing when reviewing those
Nobody really needs that anyway, at least that's what I thought, because
is generated automatically.

The suggestion I made above would not solve that but at least avoids that those
changes creep into the CVS.