newport driver for XFree

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: newport driver for XFree
From: Mitja Bezget <gw@sers.s-sers.mb.edus.si>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 12:31:49 +0200 (MET DST)
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
hi!

I'm having problems running xfree on an old Indy
so i tought i should report&ask for help..

First I applyed the patch (is it recent??):

# tar -xzvf X400src.tgz
# cd xc
# patch -p0 <newport_000514.diff
(files are from a webpage previously posted)

and it didn't create drivers/newport/ directory.. (it exited
cleanly!)
should i have done something else before that?
Anyway.. i created the missing files by hand..
afterwards it failed again while making World

newport.c:136: `MGA' undeclared (first use of this function)
newport.c:774: `caddr_t' undeclared (first use of this function)
+ some other errors originating from here..

i fixed the caddr_t (missing #include <sys/types.h>)
i changed  MDA to NEWPORT and it compiled ok!  and i was happy!

But now it just wont run.. error message is attached..
I think it has something to do with socketbits.h and declaration
of enum __socket_type.. Namely i added this enum because i couldn't
find #define for socket types in any of system installed header
files.. (The very first reason server didn't compile)

i'm running glibc-2.0.6-4 (+devel) and egcs-1.0.2-9..

Thank you!

cya
Mitja

ps. for Guido (or who coded that part):
i went thru newport_regs.h and i noticed your comment in line 153
/* This causes a warning. Why??? */
I believe it was just a simple innocent typo.. you pressed
the semi-colon twice. ;))

_XSERVTransSocketCreateListener: listen() failed
_XSERVTransSocketINETCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to create listener for tcp
_XSERVTransSocketCreateListener: listen() failed
_XSERVTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to create listener for local

Fatal server error:
Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't already
running

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".