New mini-distribution

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: New mini-distribution
From: Keith M Wesolowski <wesolows@chem.unr.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 15:45:11 -0700
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
Hi all,

I got bored last week and put together a new mini-distribution for
SGIs. I know it works on Indigo2 at least. It's a lot smaller and has
some more up to date components than Hard Hat. Perhaps it would be a
good starting point for someone to use, or maybe it will be of no use
to anyone but me. :) Those interested can read a quick HOWTO at
http://foobazco.org/~wesolows/Install-HOWTO.html; the necessary files
are at ftp://ftp.foobazco.org/pub/people/wesolows/mips-linux/.

Quick rundown:

Kernel 2.2.14 from CVS
glibc 2.0.6 with patches
egcs 1.1.2 with patches
binutils 000425 with patches
bash 2.04
vim 5.6
barebones initscripts
miscellaneous useful software
NFS-based installation

Plans:

Not much. I will probably try to get gcc 2.96 and glibc 2.2 working
with it, those being the least up to date parts of it all. I don't
really think this is going anywhere; Debian will hopefully be finished
soon.

--
Keith M Wesolowski                      wesolows@chem.unr.edu
University of Nevada                    http://www.chem.unr.edu