Re: SGI-Linux port progress?

To: Eric Watkins <watkinse@attens.com>
Subject: Re: SGI-Linux port progress?
From: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 12:26:06 +0200
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 01:44:54PM -0700, Eric Watkins wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was just gifted/given an Indigo 2.
>
> It's working so I don't need any parts but I do want to know what the status
> of the hardhat project is. The files I found on the sgi site seemed out of
> date. Is any progress being made here?

Yep it is - The current CVS kernel is basically ok (Same errors as on
i386 with memory leaks) - You will need some more hacking to get some
useful output - I am by far a kernel hacker but i and Klaus Naumann
try to fix the tiny bits to get everything to run out of the box.

> How soon till I can install linux without having IRIX on my harddrive? All
> of the FAQs/docs I could find seemed to have IRIX as a requirement to
> partition the HD properly.

Nope - no irix requirement - You need an NFS Root - Kernel Level autoconfig
kernel - Then enter

bootp():vmlinux console=ttyS0 root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=<ipadr>:<bootpath> rw

on your indigo2 bootprom command line - Afterwards
if the hardhat is installed on the boot/tftp/nfs server you will
see your indigo2 booting on the serial (No Prom Console/Framebuffer
support yet)

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff          flo@rfc822.org                  +49-subject-2-change