general mips question

To: "linux@engr.sgi.com" <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Subject: general mips question
From: Peter Popov <ppopov@redcreek.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 14:09:17 -0700
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
Is it possible to "walk" the stack on a mips system after a crash to
figure out all the functions which were called upto and including the
function where the crash occurred?  For example, I can do that on an
i960 system because of the help I get from the cpu in creating a stack
and saving some registers for every function call.  If A called B which
called C which called D, I can walk the stack on an i960 system and
figure out how I got to D. But I can't quite figure out how to do that
in software on a mips system.  All I can get is the return address of
the current function -- eg if the system crashed in D, all I can get is
the return address which is somewhere in function C.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Pete