Re: VC exceptions

To: "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@mips.com>
Subject: Re: VC exceptions
From: Joan Eslinger <wombat@kilimanjaro.engr.sgi.com>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 16:04:01 -0700
Cc: fisher@sgi.com, linux-mips@vger.rutgers.edu, "Linux/MIPS fnet" <linux-mips@fnet.fr>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
 * Date:    Tue, 2 May 2000 13:18:49 +0200
 * From:    "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@mips.com>
 *
 * Quibble here:  The Challenge/PowerChallenge bus had
 * little or nothing to do with VME.   I recall that it was a synchronous,
 * "pended operation" bus, and VME is neither.

The main system bus is proprietary, called SysAD. Challenge and Power
Challenge did support VME cards, but I don't remember if the SysAD bus
had a VME extension on it or if you had to stick in a VME/SysAD card to
get that.

Originally "Power Challenge" meant you had an R8000 CPU, but after
R10000s were available "Challenge" and "Power Challenge" both meant
R10k.