Re: early crash on indigo2 fix breaks indy ...

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: early crash on indigo2 fix breaks indy ...
From: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 09:16:46 +0200
Cc: Ulf Carlsson <ulfc@calypso.engr.sgi.com>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
On Wed, Apr 26, 2000 at 01:10:47PM -0700, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> I don't see why the kernel memory could ever be treated as free.  Initially
> the entire memory is considered to be allocated.  Then all areas that are
> free as per ARC(S) firmware get freed.  The kernel itself should of course
> not be part of those areas.  Then even later once again as part of
> free_initmem() the rest of the ARC(S) memory gets freed, that's all the
> firmware temporary areas.  Again the kernel memory should not reside in
> any of those areas.  So I can't make any sense out of your changes?

The problem i seen on MY indigo2 is that i get a memory chunk from
the ARC which is freed up although the kernel resides in that memory
chunk. The first allocation of memory (still in the bootmem)
then gets kernel pages - does a "memset" and dead we are.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff          flo@rfc822.org                  +49-subject-2-change