Re: early crash on indigo2 fix breaks indy ...

To: Ulf Carlsson <ulfc@calypso.engr.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: early crash on indigo2 fix breaks indy ...
From: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 21:09:41 +0200
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 11:57:13AM -0700, Ulf Carlsson wrote:
> > Indigo2 - I had the problem that the first alloc_bootmem i think
> > got back pages in the kernel marked as "free" - The resulting memset
> > let the kernel crash. My solution was to mark the kernel pages
> > as reserved.
> >
> > BTW: What does break on indy ? Does it crash ? Does it
> > hang in SCSI Detection ?
>
> Yeah, I noted that it didn't make any difference to revert your change except
> that the algorithm breaks and I get spammed with zillions of ``hm, page
> already marked as reserved'' messages when we try to reserve the already
> reserved memory.  Is it possible to detect this with the PROM version or
> something?

One might check if you walk through the memory table the
arc gives back and free it via the bootmem api you can check whether
you got back a memory chunk which contains the kernel (Or overlaps)
and realloc it after freeing or just not free it up. Should be obvious
and trivial after the change i made ...

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff          flo@rfc822.org                  +49-subject-2-change