Re: early crash on indigo2 fix breaks indy ...

To: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>
Subject: Re: early crash on indigo2 fix breaks indy ...
From: Ulf Carlsson <ulfc@calypso.engr.sgi.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 11:57:13 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
> Indigo2 - I had the problem that the first alloc_bootmem i think
> got back pages in the kernel marked as "free" - The resulting memset
> let the kernel crash. My solution was to mark the kernel pages
> as reserved.
>
> BTW: What does break on indy ? Does it crash ? Does it hang in SCSI Detection
> ?

Yeah, I noted that it didn't make any difference to revert your change except
that the algorithm breaks and I get spammed with zillions of ``hm, page
already marked as reserved'' messages when we try to reserve the already
reserved memory.  Is it possible to detect this with the PROM version or
something?

Ulf