Re: GLIBC 2.2 should work on MIPS-Linux

To: Andreas Jaeger <aj@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: GLIBC 2.2 should work on MIPS-Linux
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 11:51:21 -0700
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux-mips@vger.rutgers.edu, Ulf Carlsson <ulfc@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
On Fri, Apr 21, 2000 at 10:40:36AM -0700, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> Upps, I was to fast.  I should have added that the handling of
> floating point numbers seems to be quite broken.  I haven't had time
> to investigate whether this is a bug in glibc, kernel (at least
> partially - we do need a real FPU emulation!) or gcc.

To keep you people up to date on this - I've got free shopping for
the kernel FPU support software, that's is there are four solutions
available:

 - two different ones from IRIX which I'm allowed to recycle for Linux
 - the Algorithmics code which already has been integrated into Linux
   by MIPS.
 - Write something new that is based on include/math-emu/.

It used to be a relativly hard thing but it's no longer :-)