RE: Indigo R3000 PROM calls /

To: Michael Engel <engel@math.uni-siegen.de>
Subject: RE: Indigo R3000 PROM calls /
From: Harald Koerfgen <Harald.Koerfgen@home.ivm.de>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 18:33:36 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
On 16-Apr-00 Michael Engel wrote:
> I had some time over the weekend and started to hack on Linux for my
> good old R3000 Indigo (oh yeah, I should better try to write drivers
> for the PMAG-F and the FDDI adapter in my DECstations but Indigo
> hacking seemed to be more fun ;-)). I can load the kernel from sash
> and it actually starts at kernel_entry (whow) and - no wonder - crashes
> somewhere in init_arch (because I didn't change anything there ...).
>
> Now, it would of course be nice to have some kind of debugging output
> early on. Does anyone know if the R3k Indigo has the same ARCS console
> semantics as the Indy ? I.e. there is a PROMBLOCK struct at address
> 0xa0001000 (as defined in include/asm-mips/sgiarcs.h) which points to
> romvec which I can then use to dereference PROM functions ? Or is it
> something completely different ?

Well, as you can imagine I have absolutely no idea, but if you have a chance to
disassemble the beginning of the PROM (0xbfc00000) you can easily check if the
Indigo provides callbacks a la MIPS (very much like the DS3100).

If you find something like:

       0:       0bf0008a        j       fc00228
       4:       00000000        nop
       8:       0bf0012a        j       fc004a8
       c:       00000000        nop
      10:       0bf0013f        j       fc004fc
      14:       00000000        nop
      18:       0bf0012c        j       fc004b0
      1c:       00000000        nop

(and I wouldn't be surprised if you did) then you should have a look at
include/asm-mips/mipsprom.h and the startup code in arch/mips/dec/prom.

--
Regards,
Harald