Indigo R3000 PROM calls /

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Indigo R3000 PROM calls /
From: Michael Engel <engel@math.uni-siegen.de>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 23:12:02 +0200 (MET DST)
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
Hi,

I had some time over the weekend and started to hack on Linux for my
good old R3000 Indigo (oh yeah, I should better try to write drivers
for the PMAG-F and the FDDI adapter in my DECstations but Indigo
hacking seemed to be more fun ;-)). I can load the kernel from sash
and it actually starts at kernel_entry (whow) and - no wonder - crashes
somewhere in init_arch (because I didn't change anything there ...).

Now, it would of course be nice to have some kind of debugging output
early on. Does anyone know if the R3k Indigo has the same ARCS console
semantics as the Indy ? I.e. there is a PROMBLOCK struct at address
0xa0001000 (as defined in include/asm-mips/sgiarcs.h) which points to
romvec which I can then use to dereference PROM functions ? Or is it
something completely different ?

Of course, if someone unexpectedly finds some Indigo R3k hardware docs
somewhere, I'd appreciate it ;).

Best regards,
        Michael Engel   (engel@unix-ag.org)