Re: kernel hang indigo2 current cvs more specific

To: Geert Uytterhoeven <Geert.Uytterhoeven@sonycom.com>
Subject: Re: kernel hang indigo2 current cvs more specific
From: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 22:34:15 +0200
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 10:59:43AM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > My suspicion is that the memory map(s) are not correct and initializing
> > existing memory causes this fault.
>
> Perhaps this helps: the bootmem stuff in arch/mips/ddb5074/prom.c works fine.
> The DDB5074 has 64 MB of fixed non-upgradable memory at physical 0x00000000
> virtual 0x80000000.

IIRC the Virtual/Physical mapping is on the Mips cpus 1:1 on bootup right ?
So what would one pass to init_bootmem and co ?

At the moment i see start 0x8800 and size 0xff85

Then - A bit later - the bitmap gets allocated (Free all - allocate/reserve
back - Changed that - Not the fault) ~0x1ff4 bytes ~2 Pages - I tried
to increase this (bootmap_size*4) but still in the mm/bootmem.c
the machine crashes in the memset as it trys to memset to 0
from 88002000 and ~4MB ... The most interesting thing is that even
if i increase the bootmap_size (*4) the memset begins at the same address -
It seems that it doesnt care on allocation.

I had a look at the end of mm/bootmem.c:__alloc_bootmem_core
and saw that it trys to memset from 0x88002000.

So currently i think i lost the overview and something very obvious goes
on ...

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff          flo@rfc822.org                  +49-5241-470566