configure spaghetti code

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: configure spaghetti code
From: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2000 18:19:31 +0200
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
Hi,
i tried to compile my own kernel for the IP22 (mips not mips64) and
had no sucess (no output on any console) - I think this is due
to the a couple of bugs ...

First of all - The spaghetti code in the config.in contains a lot if nice
gimmicks like:

if [ "$CONFIG_DECSTATION" != "y" ]; then
   source drivers/char/Config.in
else
   mainmenu_option next_comment
   comment 'DECstation Character devices'
[...]
   if [ "$CONFIG_SGI_IP22" = "y" ]; then
      bool 'SGI PROM Console Support' CONFIG_SGI_PROM_CONSOLE
   fi
[...]

Due to this the CONFIG_SGI_PROM_CONSOLE is not even selectable if
i do not enable CONFIG_DECSTATION with CONFIG_SGI_IP22 ...

As most of the Architectures (IP22, Decstation etc) have VERY special
hardware and nothing in common with the "default pc architecture"
wouldnt it be a good way to

1. Have a choice of ONE architecture to select (Most of them can coexist
   within the same kernel)
2. Depending on the selected Architecture include "config" scripts
   within their special directory (Probably common CPU Type and networking
   option, filesystem selection)
3. Only show devices which are really available for the architectures
   (I dont think anyone has succeeded in plugging a 3C509 into a DecStation
   5000 or a Telephony card or even IDE)

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff          flo@rfc822.org                  +49-5241-470566