Re: kernel for indigo2

To: Richard <richardh@penguin.nl>
Subject: Re: kernel for indigo2
From: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 20:29:00 +0200
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
On Fri, Mar 31, 2000 at 08:21:21PM +0200, Richard wrote:
> Florian Lohoff wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > i recently (a couple of days ago) got an Indigo2 Impact and i thought
> > of beginning to bootstrap debian-mips (I already have >900 Package for
> > debian-mipsel) but i cant even boot a kernel. The standard (and old)
> > kernel on oss.sgi.com simple halt the machine after tftp boot - When
> > building a kernel from the current CVS the machine
> > crashes with a UTLB Miss as mentioned in the MIPS-FAQ as the
> > -N binutils bugs although there is no -N in the makefile.
> >
> > Does anyone have a working kernel for the Indigo2 ?
>
> I had this very same problem with the CVS tree on my indy r5k. If anyone knows
> what the problem is, or when it will be fixed, i'd love to now, because
> development is on a halt here right now.

As you have a R5000 machine it cant be that CPU dependent as
i have a R4400 250Mhz machine.

The development is a little on hold here too as the Current Kernel CVS
doesnt run on ANY of my platforms - On Decstation it boots but i cant
login :( and on Indigo2 it simply crashes :( On decstation i am currently
running 2.3.21 which crashes for me twice a day or something while compiling.

System: IP22
Processor: 250Mhz R4400, with FPU
ICache: 16k
DCache: 16k