Re: header files state

To: "Florian Lohoff" <flo@rfc822.org>, <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: header files state
From: "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@mips.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 09:09:51 +0100
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
Like the problem with sigaction definitions described in
another thread, the problem with "SOCK_STREAM" seems
to come from the fact that we're not on the same level of glibc
as the rest of the Linux community.  The "correct" definition
of SOCK_STREAM is in asm/socket.h, but it is
#ifdef __KERNEL__, and no alternate definition is
available.  On a PC, one can find it in /usr/include/bits/socket.h,
but no equivalent exists in the MIPS glibc 2.0 universe.
I have suppressed the #ifdef on my build system in order
to bulid kaffe, etc.  as it seems intuitively reasonable to have
the same values used by user code as by the kernel, but I don't
know it that's really what needs to be done.

And I note with some concernt that, while in the PC Linux
universe, asm/socket.h, linux/socket.h, and bits/socket.h
all have the same definitions for the socket types
(SOCK_STREAM = 1, for example), in the MIPS/LINUX
kernel, SOCK_STREAM = 2, though there is still the
definition, conditional on
#if !defined(__KERNEL__) && (!defined(__GLIBC__) || (__GLIBC__ < 2))
that defines SOCK_STREAM to be 1.  Fortunately, the
probability of someone using non-glibc or glibc < 2 in
a MIPS/Linux universe seems to be essentially zero.