/proc/cpuinfo cleanups

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: /proc/cpuinfo cleanups
From: Vince Weaver <weave@eng.umd.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 00:11:35 -0500 (EST)
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
Hello,

I noticed that my patch to add Indigo2 support to /proc/cpuinfo never made
it into the kernel
[http://www.glue.umd.edu/~weave/patches/patch_indigo2_support]

I know Ralf said he'd like for the cpuinfo stuff to be completely
re-written and the afforementioned support be added along with a slew of
other features.

I have an interest in /proc/cpuinfo, with linux_logo being one of the few
programs that actively parses it.  Linus has always ignored any of my
attempted cleanups, apparently on the premise that "if it's not
super-broken don't fix it".  So I was a bit hesitant to start such an
ambitious re-writing of the involved code, especially since I no longer
have access to the Indigo2 machine I was working with.

Well, this is a round-about way of asking, should I try to get my
originaly patch included again, or should I try to scrape together some
time to work on the more complicated problem?  Hopefully I'll get a
summer-job that lets me work on such things full time, instead of working
on the sgi-linux stuff during my breaks...

Vince

\  /\  /\  /  Vince Weaver
 \/__\/__\/   weave@eng.umd.edu     http://www.glue.umd.edu/~weave