Re: FP emulation patch available

To: "Harald Koerfgen" <Harald.Koerfgen@home.ivm.de>
Subject: Re: FP emulation patch available
From: "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@mips.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 09:33:02 +0100
Cc: <linux-mips@vger.rutgers.edu>, <linux-mips@fnet.fr>, "Linux SGI" <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
As Ralf just reminded me by email, the Algorithmics/MIPS
kernel FPU emulator is *not* SMP-safe.  It borrows an existing
(if seldom used) exception handler, and has only a single
set of emulated FPU registers.  I sort-of knew this, but
had not worried about it, since to the best of my knowledge
no one is building (or has built) SMP MIPS machines
out of FPU-less processors.  Nevertheless, a compile-time
test, to blow up on any attempt at an SMP build of the
emulator should always have been there, and is going in
right away.

Does anyone out there actually need/want an SMP
version of the emulator?   It's not completely trivial,
but it would not be all that difficult to do...

            Regards,

            Kevin K.
__

Kevin D. Kissell
MIPS Technologies European Architecture Lab
kevink@mips.com
Tel. +33.4.78.38.70.67
FAX. +33.4.78.38.70.68