Re: Linux on O2?

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: Linux on O2?
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 20:11:19 +0100 (CET)
Cc: Marc Esipovich <marc@mucom.co.il>, brett <brett@madhouse.org>, Bruce Leggett <bleggett@sofamordanek.com>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux-mips@vger.rutgers.edu
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
On Sun, 20 Feb 2000, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> > > The problem is that the origin docs are gone by now and SGI can't
> > > just go and ship the IRIX source to hackers ...
> >
> > Wow, what do you mean gone by now?  are you saying there's no chance in
> > hell to obtain the documentation?  it can't be gone.
>
> Remember that SGI is a company that designs a large fraction of a system.
> So the designers of some piece of hardware and it's direct users, the
> kernel programmers have close to each other.  For a lot of chips
> documentation never is written or at least never the same way so it would
> be the case for chips that would be marketed as such.  It's obvious that
> this isn't good at all for Free Software where the access to high
> quality documentation is crucial.
>
> So now imagine what has happened to all the knowledge about a machine
> during the decade after it was developed?  The product's development
> finishes, it get's marketed, the OS for gets some final bugfixes and
> even later it gets phased out.  Silence.  Meanwhile the brains behind
> the machine leave the company, tapes and paper go to some dark room
> where nobody still remembers them and the machine gets forgotten.
>
> Slow death of a computer ...

Unrelated, but similar: I'd like to port Linux/m68k to the Tektronix XP21
X-terminal I have. It has a 68030, TMS34020 and NE2000 Ethernet, but where do
you find docs? Tektronix has sold their X-terminal division to NCD.

If a machine is older than the web, AltaVista won't help you neither.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- Linux/{m68k~Amiga,PPC~CHRP} -- geert@linux-m68k.org